1. Self- impairment – Sometimes there are so many awful things in our world that have us believing that when something goes right for us, just around the corner is the big bad ugly disasters that seem to find us no matter where we go. You have to believe that your relationship is forever. Bringing positive vibes to your relationship can only help it. Leave the negativity behind and deal with the disasters when they come to you. Do not spend your relationship expecting it to fail or be attacked by obstacles.
2. Jealousy – Your partner is always going to have friends or acquaintances of the opposite sex (or same sex depending on your personal attraction). It is important that you do not let jealousy restrict your partner from his/her right to their own friends. Just because your partner is polite to or acknowledges someone you may see as a threat, does not mean that there is actually anything to suspect. Expecting little everyday occurrences to mean more then what they are is detrimental to your relationship.
3. Ignoring the outside world – When you are in a new relationship sometimes it is hard to see outside of it. But it is important to remember those people who have great importance to you outside of that romantic relationship. Friends and family are still of value. It is important for both parties in a relationship to have their own lives and contacts outside of what you both share.
4. The social media trap – Relationships are a lot of hard work and often contain speed bumps along the way. Whining about your problems to the whole world is no way to solve issues. It is poison to a relationship when a disagreement or personal argument goes viral. No solution will ever come from airing out those times that are less than perfect.
5. Loss of communication – Point #4 brings us to the equally important point #5. One way of avoiding those speed bumps is to communicate to each other. If your partner is doing something that is hurting your feelings it is them that need to know, not your Facebook or twitter friends. Your partner is the only person who can change what it is that is being done to upset you. Don’t just talk to your partner about those light hearted topics. Part of a healthy relationship is being able to talk about those things that really matter, even if they cause a little discomfort at the time of the discussion, they will do wonders for your relationship in the long run.